Scones

I'm not a cook, not even a weekend cook.  I'm the kind of person who slaps stuff in a pot to boil or in a frying pan to fry.  But I am trying to learn basic, easy things instead of just buying them ready made.

A few weeks back I purchased a scone mix from Harry & David.  It wasn't that cheap either.  But in my mind, I thought there must have been serious voodoo involved in scone making.  So the ready made mix from H&D was invaluable.  I put this treasure on my shelf and decided to save it for Christmas morning.

On Christmas Eve, I decided to get a jump on breakfast by making the scones the night before.  I opened up the package and poured it into a bowl.  All I had to do was pour heavy cream into the mixture.  Which I did.  Then it was shoved into an oven for a grand total of 12 minutes.

Meanwhile I was thinking to myself, this all seems ridiculously easy.  Could making it myself be any harder?  Did the mix contain anything grand that I could not purchase separately?  So I read the contents of the bag.  What was the magic?  Flour.  Flour and Baking powder with a snatch of sugar and salt.  That was it.

And didn't I feel had.

I've since made scones a few more times with everything that was in my pantry.  In fact the results were much better than the packaged mix.  So I suppose it was a lesson for me not to waste money when I just should have checked my own cookbooks.

Speaking of which, I found the scone recipe in "The Joy of Cooking" to be really good.  The portions are perfectly measured and the results are fantastic each time.  I tried a recipe from a Tricia Foley book, and the results were more like dinner biscuits (too much baking powder) rather than the cake like dainties baked for tea time.

Labels: , , ,