I Am a Ghost


Lately I've been on a horror film binge view fest.  I just don't have the time to discuss all that I watch.  I have finally seen Cabin in the Woods (eh, intentionally cheesy and too clever for its own good) and the newest remake of Carrie (horrible...avoid it at all costs).

Then, this past weekend, I Am A Ghost appeared on Itunes.  It looked intriguing but I was hesitant because I hadn't heard about it.  I did a little research and it is a very small and independent film with some very nice reviews.  The word around the blogs was that it only cost $10,000 to produce but it doesn't look cheap at all.

The story centers around a mysterious young woman wandering a huge, desolate Victorian house.  She goes about a daily routine repeatedly but the viewer can't help but notice that the routine has slight changes.  Also the time frame is confusing.  Although the house seems to be existing in a time period sometime around the late 19th Century...the young woman's clothing are Edwardian and yet she wears bonnets that are more in the style of the 1860's.  To add to the confusion she is surrounded by very modern (relatively speaking) devices.  It leads the viewer to wonder...are there really ghosts in this film?  The general atmosphere in the film is unsettling leading up to very disturbing finale.

Even though the film was made cheaply, it looks very elegant.  The lighting is beautiful and the colors are at times rich and other times faded.  It all depends on the mood of the heroine.  The set design is extremely nice with little victorian touches that are extremely oppressive to our modern sensibilities.

I'm glad I took a chance on this film and I highly recommend it!



Labels: , , ,